Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Blogfolio

1. Intro Video- Learning how to create a video of myself with my phone and uploading it to my blog online, lead me to the idea that I could create videos of myself discussing what the week of school is going to be like, updates, and special events coming up so that parents can view it themselves. I could even use this as a way to walk through experiments with my students, allowing them to stop the video whenever needed. This video can be uploaded to the classroom blog or website. I can definitely see myself using this type of video format at the beginning of the semester as well. The NETS-T standard  that applied to this assignment was standard number 3: Model Digital-Age Work and Learning by having me model and  facilitate effective use of current and emerging digital tools to locate, analyze, evaluate, and use information resources to support research and learning.  The video “blog” is a type of tool that is an effective use of current and emerging digital technology that I can use to discuss topics to support student learning.
2. Concept Map-This assignment will be great to use in the classroom as a tool to study or to create with students while learning about different content or concepts. I used the Body Systems to create my concept map in class and it seemed like it would be a great study tool. With this new way of concept mapping videos, images, and notes can be attached to any bubble. I loved this tool. The NETS-T standard(s) that can be applied to this assignment are Standard 2: Design and Develop Digital-Age Learning Experiences and Assessments through designing or adapting relevant learning experiences that incorporate digital tools and resources to promote student learning and creativity and Standard 3 by communicating relevant information and ideas effectively to students, parents, and peers using a variety of digital-age media and formats. These standards applies to this assignment because it ties in technology and learning, and it is also a tool to communicate information and bring together ideas.
3. Web Site- This assignment was my favorite because I never thought I would learn how to create a website….and I did.  It was not hard at all, Google Sites is user friendly, and I can really use this as a teacher to communicate to my parents and students. The website can be used to describe upcoming events, provide a calendar, information about the class and myself, and to provide resources for students and parents to use to support learning of the content. The NETS-T standard that applies to this assignment are Standard 1: Facilitate and Inspire Student Learning and Creativity through modeling of collaborative knowledge construction by engaging in learning with students, colleagues, and others in face-to-face and virtual environments.
4. Voki- Voki is an educational tool that can be used for creativity. In the classroom I can customize Voki characters to look like historical figures, cartoons, animals, and even myself.  I think that it can put a new twist to education and give the students a little something different than the typical lecture and slideshow.  I liked this assignment because it was something different that I had not seen before and if used right, could really add something special to the classroom. I could create some creature that liked to “drop in” every now and then to share a cool story or a bit of wisdom to the students. The standards that apply to this assignment is Standard 2: Design and Develop Digital-Age Learning Experiences and Assessments because this tool calls you to design or adapt relevant learning experiences that incorporate digital tools and resources to promote student learning and creativity.
5. Xtranormal is a site that allows you to create two avatars that share a conversation in order to express a thought or idea. When I created my Xtranormal skit, two dogs discussed littering in the park and why not to do it. I did not like this tool, it was not fun for me and it was time consuming. I probably won’t use this in my classroom but if I did use it, I would have students pair up and create skits together. They would have to use this type of digital technology to teach their classmates something about a certain unit we were discussing at that time. Standard 3: Model Digital-Age Work and Learning applies to this assignment in that is calls you to communicate relevant information and ideas effectively to students using a variety of digital-age media and formats.
6. Turnitin- Standard 4: Promote and Model Digital Citizenship and Responsibility. I do like this website and will use it once in my classroom at the beginning of the year to show my students what plagiarism is and how not to do it. It will be more of a group activity, students will work together to summarize. I will teach students how to summarize first. That is a difficult thing to learn. I did not do very well with this assignment because I do not summarize research well. I think it’s all important and I don’t know how to condense. This has always been difficult for me. The NETS-T standard that applies to this assignment is standard 4: Promote and Model Digital Citizenship and Responsibility by advocating, modeling, and teaching safe, legal, and ethical use of digital information and technology, including respect for copyright, intellectual property, and the appropriate documentation of sources.

7.TED videos- John Hunter’s video discussing his world peace game created for his students was very inspiring. It gave me a different way to look at education and how to approach certain topics or issues. I like his project goes further than classroom lectures and is interactive, involving students in deep thinking and cooperative learning.  I hope to create something like this for my students to guide them into thinking critically and creatively. Ali Carr-Chellman “gaming to reengage boys in learning was also enlightening. She thinks that in order to pull boys back into education we need to cater to the way boys are “in a sense”.  We can’t keep a tight leash on them. I agree. Ken Robinson says schools kill creativity. I think schools are coming away from that and are now trying to integrate the all seven intelligences into the curriculum. I agree that students need to be able to express themselves and have the opportunity to learn in the best way that suites them. There is not just one way to learn and to express meaning. I believe Ken is trying to emphasize the importance of these intelligences so that students have the opportunity to succeed. I think these videos were great to introduce new concepts. We as teachers need to learn from others to keep up with new ways of teaching. TED videos are a great source. The NETS-T standard that applies to this assignment is standard 5: Engage in Professional Growth and Leadership by causing me evaluate and reflect on current research and professional practice to make effective use of existing and emerging digital tools and resources in support of student learning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment